The FECTF delivers the government’s £1.5 billion commitment made at the Budget
2020 to upgrade and transform the FE college estate over the next 5 years.
The programme has the following key objectives:
• To upgrade the FE college estate and to significantly reduce the proportion of FE
college estates not fit for purpose or in unsatisfactory condition. This will ensure all colleges
are excellent places to learn.
• To support the government’s further education and technical education reforms.
This will include those set out in Skills for Jobs: Lifelong Learning for Opportunity and
• To ensure FE colleges have the buildings and facilities they need to support the
skills needs of their local labour market, building strong relationships with local
• To contribute to local economic regeneration and the levelling up of skills and
opportunities across the country.
• To promote optimum space utilisation and more efficient use of facilities.
• To support government objectives on environmental sustainability.
FE colleges have already benefited from the Further Education Capital Allocation of £200 million, paid in September 2020.
This allocation is supporting FE colleges to undertake immediate remedial work in this financial year, thereby beginning the work
of upgrading the condition of the estate.
The £200 million Further Education Capital Allocation is part of the £1.5 billion funding commitment over the next 5 years.
For more information visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/further-education-capital-transformation-fund