£25,629 – £26,913 a year
About the role
This large secondary school is seeking to appoint an enthusiastic, ambitious and driven Premises Assistant to join us as soon as possible. This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate with outstanding skills to join our journey of improvement. This role is to assist with the management, maintenance and development of the school’s premises and grounds across both schools. You will be joining a highly talented and proactive team. There will be a need to cover lettings out of school hours on evenings/weekends.
This school we are recruiting for is a place where traditional values meet innovation. If you want to join a highly successful team who are passionate about the very best education for our young people, and you can inspire learners to seek what they do not yet know, then we want to hear from you.
We are a popular 11-18 school, providing an excellent education for all our students, with a commitment to learning, pride in our community and sharing success in all we do. We are situated in attractive grounds in the south of Bexley and located within easy reach of the M25 with good access to both central London and rural Kent. We have excellent facilities, including a 3G astro pitch and state of the art fitness centre.
If you are seeking to be an inspirational and innovative professional who can motivate and inspire students and really make a difference, then this is for you. We require someone who will share our passion and ambition to provide an excellent education to our students who are engaging and rewarding to work with. We have a strong commitment to staff wellbeing and see work/life balance as a vital element to a fulfilling career. You will receive ongoing support and CPD opportunities across the school and wider TKAT family.
We are committed to safeguarding the welfare of students and expect all staff to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS check will be required for the successful applicant. You will have access to a range of professional development opportunities within the academy and also across the wider Trust, tailored to your career aspirations and areas for development.
● The post of Premises Assistant is fundamental to the school’s ongoing operation – including Health & Safety, security, the school environment and site buildings.
● Under the supervision of the Premises Manager, the Premises Assistant shall be responsible for the day to day monitoring of a number of operations. The following is not inclusive, but may cover: school security; health & safety regulations; fire procedures; distribution and porterage; use of facilities by external organisations; and heating requirements.
● Security of the Premises
a) To lock and unlock the windows, gates, doors around the site on a daily basis at the required times.
b) Ensure that the alarms are set at the appropriate times.
c) Patrol the exterior of the school premises to ensure that fences, gates etc, are secure. To report damage/ vandalism to the Premises Manager for action. To repair damage when instructed.
d) Ensure that access is available to those persons who are making deliveries or carrying out repairs.
e) To check that the fire alarms are working and assist in the fire drills in line with the school policy.
f) To control the use of the CCTV
g) To be a nominated key holder in cases of emergency.
h) To prevent trespassers on school premises/grounds.
i) To prevent unauthorised parking of vehicles.
● Heating, Lighting and Porterage Duties
a) To operate, monitor and maintain heating plant and equipment.
b) At the request of the Premises Manager undertake the following tasks:
● To promptly move goods, refreshments, equipment, furniture and stores within the confines of the school site.
● To ensure that the chairs are laid out for assembly and other occasions as required and cleared away promptly.
● To set up rooms as required for meetings, parents evenings, etc.
● Handyperson and Minor Maintenance Duties
a) To carry out repairs and preventative maintenance, delegated by the Premises Manager, which are not beyond the scope of an unskilled handyperson:
● Check pumps and associated equipment
● Broken windows, roof panels, guttering etc.
● Changing light bulbs, tubes, starters, fuses and plugs
● Clearing blocked drains, sinks, urinals, toilet pans, etc.
● Effect repairs to toilet seats, gates, locks, door handles, door hinges, school furniture, toilet cisterns/ballcocks, coat hooks, shelves, taps, drinking fountains, etc.
● To undertake painting and decorating tasks.
b) To ensure that all hard areas, paths, and fields are free from litter and debris. Ensure that gullies and drains are free flowing.
c) Sweep hard areas and empty rubbish bins.
d) Undertake the regular cleaning of drains, gullies and grease traps.
e) Clear rubbish from around the central bin area and ensure that it is kept clean and tidy. To wash the bins as requested. Report any signs of vermin to the Premises Manager.
f) To ensure that all sanitary areas are inspected at least once daily. To clean any soiled areas, replenish consumables and to report misuse and graffiti to the Premises Manager.
g) Upon instruction and/or initiative clear pathways of snow when necessary and apply rock salt to ensure a safe means of access to school for staff and students.
a) To undertake lettings as part of the normal pattern of work during Monday-Friday.
b) To ensure that school security is not compromised during a let.
c) To ensure that the school is returned to normal following a let – furniture is replaced, and the area cleaned as necessary.
d) To ensure that the needs of the hirer are met.
e) To present a professional and amenable manner to the hirers.
f) To undertake delegated works from the Premises Manager as required during the period of the let.
g) To undertake additional weekend lettings as required, for which an additional payment will be made.
a) Ensure that the mini-bus is ready for use.
b) To ensure that it is secured at night.
c) To drive the minibus for servicing and maintenance.
● 3G pitch
Support with the weekly maintenance of the new 3G pitch to ensure the pitch is maintained to a high standard for both school and community use.
● Other Duties
a) Upon instruction from the Premises Manager:
● Ensure that contractors work safely when on site.
● Deal with bodily spills (blood, vomit) using the correct Health & Safety procedures.
● Read all meters and record details as required.
● Remove graffiti immediately.
b) To adopt a flexible attitude to the working hours to cover other site staff absences and during school closure periods.
c) To monitor on a daily basis the performance of the grounds contract and report problems to the Premises Manager.
d) To assist the Premises Manager in planning the preventative maintenance/repair programme for the forthcoming year.
To liaise with the Premises Manager when contractors need to be brought on to the site to carry out repairs which are beyond the scope of the site team.
To find out more and apply, please email email@example.com